Heartsaver® is the Canadian standard in CPR and AED training. This straightforward, yet comprehensive, course provides you with the skills and confidence to respond to a cardiac arrest at home, in public or at work.
Cardiac arrest can happen to anyone, at any age, at any time. It is a life-threatening emergency, but by using skills you will learn through the Heartsaver® CPR AED course, you can double or even triple the person’s chance of survival.
This course is for people with limited or no medical training. Upon successful completion, you will receive a course completion card in CPR and AED to meet job, regulatory or other requirements.
Heartsaver® training is flexible. Find the course that’s right for you:
Need a quick but complete program that will teach you the basics of effective response for adult emergencies?
- The Heartsaver® CPR AED course is geared for everyday Canadians. If you need the basics, look no further. This video-based, instructor-led course teaches how to recognize cardiac arrest, get emergency care on its way quickly and provide help until someone with more advanced training arrives to take over. You’ll get hands-on practice in performing high-quality CPR, using an AED, relieving choking and giving mouth-to-mouth breaths or breaths with a mask.
Are you a parent, family member or caregiver for children? These add-on course modules will prepare you for the unexpected:
- This is an add-on to the core adult Heartsaver® course. The Child Module provides you with additional knowledge and confidence by teaching high-quality CPR, use of an AED and relief of choking for children.
- Caring for an infant? This module teaches high-quality CPR and relief of choking in infants. Take the Infant Module as an add-on to the adult Heartsaver® course. Add in the child module for a comprehensive course for all age groups.
Does your workplace or employer require formal evidence of the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired?
- The Heartsaver® CPR AED (C) course includes a mandatory written exam in addition to skills testing. This course covers it all: Adult CPR AED, Child CPR AED and Infant CPR along with a written exam.
Course Overview and Design:
The Heartsaver® CPR AED course focuses on what you need to know to perform high-quality CPR and use an AED effectively. You will also learn how to respond to choking emergencies. Course contents and outcomes include:
- How high-quality CPR improves survival
- The concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognizing when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- How to perform CPR with the help of others
- Give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a mask, for all age groups
- How to use an AED on an adult
- When and how to help a choking adult
+ Child Module
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child
- How to use an AED on a child
- When and how to help a choking child
+ Infant Module
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant
- When and how to help a choking infant
Heartsaver® CPR AED Course Duration:
Heartsaver® CPR AED – 1hr 45m
Heartsaver® Child Module – 1hr 30m
Heartsaver® Infant Module – 1 hr
TOTAL TIME (all modules) = 4hr 15m
Heartsaver® CPR AED (C) Course Duration:
Heartsaver® CPR AED (C) = 4hr 30m
Course Completion Card & Expiration Date:
When you have successfully completed the course, we will send you an email that provides you with access to your Heartsaver® CPR AED or Heartsaver® CPR AED (C) eCard. You can directly access, download and print your card. A printed course completion card from Heart and Stroke Foundation is available for an additional fee.
All Heart and Stroke Foundation Heartsaver® completion cards are valid for 1 year from the date of successful course completion.
Studies have shown that CPR skills deteriorate rapidly, and have identified positive effects from brief, more frequent training sessions. As a result, the Heart and Stroke Foundation strongly encourages students to periodically review and practice CPR and AED skills whenever possible.
Required Course Materials:
▪ Heartsaver® CPR AED Student Workbook – in print (RE1110E) or eBook (RE1110ED)
Student resources can be conveniently purchased at Heart Shop, our online store by visiting: https://resuscitation.heartandstroke.ca/heartshop
or clicking on the Shop for Training Materials
button on the right side of the page. You can shop as a guest or log into your Resuscitation portal account to set up a Heart Shop account.